Oven Parmesan Chicken with Penne Marinara
Tonight at dinner my children greatly enjoyed the Oven Parmesan Chicken with Penne Marinara I made and they were begging for seconds. They kept telling me repeatedly how delicious and juicy the chicken was and the pasta was gone before they could make any remarks. I slave away in the kitchen some night trying to create the elaborate and creative meals… only for my children to peck at it and request a PBJ sandwich instead. Who would have thought that a simple Italian meal was the meal that they would fall instantly in love with? And I am certainly not complaining because it is both delicious and incredibly simple to make. This meal literally takes only 20 minutes to prepare and the another 20 minutes of cook time. Thanks to the Publix Flavor Excursion Sale, I was able to get all of the ingredients I needed at a great price.
Here are some of my favorite and must have ingredients when it comes to creating a delicious Italian meal from home. These are products that I always have in my pantry and items we use quite frequently.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup Kraft™ zesty Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons Progresso™ Italian style breadcrumbs
- 5 tablespoons Kraft™ natural shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups uncooked Mueller's™ penne pasta (6 oz)
- 2 teaspoons Wesson® vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Hunt's™ diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Hunt's™ fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ cup Progresso™ reduced sodium chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line 15x10x1-inch pan with foil. Brush both sides of chicken with dressing; place in pan. In small bowl, stir melted butter, bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese until well blended. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon bread crumb mixture on top of each breast. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (165°F.)
- Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan, cook pasta as directed on package. Drain; return to saucepan.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until tender. Stir in both cans of tomatoes, the broth and 3 tablespoons of the basil. Cook, uncovered, over low heat 15 to 18 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated. Add tomato mixture to pasta; toss to coat.
- Spoon pasta onto serving platter; top with chicken. Garnish with remaining 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon basil.
You really can’t go wrong with this recipe, I think you would have to make an effort to mess this one up, hehe! A Cesar salad and some garlic bread would be really great with this meal as well. I am so thrilled to have discovered this meal and will defiantly be making it more frequently considering the kids loved it!