Why Rawhide Is Dangerous For Your Dog

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of PetMatrix. All opinions and thoughts expressed are 100% my very my own.  

Over the summer we made several trips to the local animal shelter trying to find a dog that fit our family. On July 23rd we visited on a day where they had just put out a litter of new puppies. Our entire family instantly fell in love with this beautiful little catahoula puppy and told them within minutes that he was the one… boy were we right! I feel like he has always been apart of our family and can’t remember what life was like without him. He has brought so much love, laughter and adventure these past few months and I am so grateful that he chose us to be his family. Duke is not only spoiled with love and mountains of toys, but also a dog mom that makes sure I do my research when it comes to the food and treats I feed him. Being a first time dog owner, all of this is new to me and it turns out many of the things I thought were OK for dogs… turns out not to be so true. One of those items being rawhide! I am going to share with you today why rawhide is dangerous for your dog and some healthy and safe alternatives.

So what is rawhide anyways? Rawhide is the inner hide from a cow (or other animals) that has undergone chemical processing to remove hair and other materials. That rawhide is then ground or used whole, and formed into various dog chews shapes. What many do not understand is that a rawhide stick is not the by-product of the beef industry… it’s not even made of dehydrated meat. No my friends… rawhide is the by-product of the leather industry… This brings me to the topic of… what is your dog actually chewing on when they have rawhide?

  • Hides are soaked and treated with a highly toxic recipe of sodium sulphide liming. This process will help strip the hair and fat that is attached to the hides.
  • Hides are treated with chemicals that help “puff” the hide, making it easier to split into layers.
  • Hides are washed and whitened using a solution of hydrogen peroxide and/or bleach
  • Hides are basted, smoked, and decoratively tinted with artificial dyes and flavors

So there you have it… that is what your dog is putting into their stomachs when they chew rawhide.. awful right? Many veterinarians are concerned with the potential health risks associated with dogs consuming rawhide. These health risks include: stomach & intestinal blockage and potential ingestion of toxic chemicals used to process rawhide chews.  There is also some serious negative environmental issues generated by the use of chemicals in processing rawhide products. Yikes… time to turn to something else that is much safer for our beloved dogs!

Why Rawhide Is Dangerous For Your Dog

PetMatrix is a company that is committed to providing the healthiest, tastiest pet chews available for their dog loving customers! The Healthy Alternative to Rawhide®, SmartBones® chews are rawhide-free, highly digestible, and 100% delicious.

Why Rawhide Is Dangerous For Your Dog

SmartBones SmartChews® come in a variety of animal shapes and use a grain-free formula for an easy to digest chew. These fun chews are vitamin and mineral enriched with no artificial coloring. My dog absolutely loves these and they keep him busy chewing for a decent amount of time!

Why Rawhide Is Dangerous For Your Dog

If you are looking for a smaller treat for things like rewarding good behavior, then I highly suggest the SmartNaturals®! They are a 100% natural meat treat and available in two delectable varieties (grass fed beef and sweet potatoes or grass fed lamb and rosemary.)

Why Rawhide Is Dangerous For Your Dog

 The SmartBones® chews contain an outer layer that is made of wholesome, flavorful vegetables, including sweet potatoes, peas and carrots. This treat is then combined with an irresistible inner layer of real chicken. They are available in Chicken, Sweet Potato, Peanut Butter, Beef and Dental. The SmartBones® chews are highly digestible and tests demonstrate that 9 out of 10 dogs prefer SmartBones chews over the leading rawhide chews (and so do their parents, hehe!)

My advice to you is to do your research and make sure you know all of the ingredients that your dog is ingesting. As their owner, it is our responsibility to make sure we are caring for them to the best of our ability. It takes very little time to google a product and learn if it is harmful for your dog to consume. If you are looking for a safe and natural alternative to the rawhides we have for so long assumed were safe… make sure to treat your dog with SmartBones this holiday season!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.