Vegan Red Lentil Chili Recipe
This is a delicious vegan red lentil chili recipe that can be enjoyed all throughout the year!
For years it has been tradition in our home to cook up a big batch of chili over the weekend. Since becoming vegan I have really missed that comforting and hearty bowl of chili that I enjoyed so much. I decided it was time to find a delicious vegan chili and get back into our tradition. I came across this vegan red lentil chili recipe on the Forks Over Knives website and just from the images… I knew it was going to be absolutely delicious!
The best part of this recipe is that it can easily be made in the crockpot! Add all of the ingredients in the morning and by dinner time you will have a meal the entire family will love!
The flavor in this chili is truly delightful and full of so many healthy ingredients. Because there is no meat in the chili, I found that it was much cleaner, lighter and enjoyable. You aren’t left feeling overindulged or bloated. You can top this red lentil chili with some Daiya vegan cheese and avocados. In out home we enjoy dipping tortilla chips in our chili and eating that way.
I hope you enjoyed this simple, delicious, healthy and plentiful vegan red lentil chili recipe! Let me know in the comments below if you made this and what your thoughts were on the chili!
- 2 ounces dates (approximately 9 Deglet Noor)
- 1 pound red lentils
- 6 cups water, divided
- 2 14.5-ounce cans salt-free diced tomatoes (fire roasted preferred)
- 1 6-ounce can salt-free tomato paste
- 10 ounces chopped onion (approximately one large)
- 1 pound red bell pepper, (approximately 2 large), finely chopped*
- 8 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons dried parsley
- 1½ tablespoons dried oregano
- 1½ tablespoons salt-free chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (different than regular paprika)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- scallions (for topping at the end)
- Blend the dates in one cup of the water until smooth.
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker (with 6 cups water) and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Sprinkle with shredded Daiya cheese, chopped scallions, or avocados. Serve with baked tortilla chips or over a baked potato.
One thought on “Vegan Red Lentil Chili Recipe”