Tips for Shopping for Clothes for Larger Families on a Budget
Contrary to popular belief, wearing great clothes doesn’t require you to spend a lot of money, especially if you are a big family. You can wear fashionable pieces, develop your own style, and still stick to your shopping budget if you follow these shopping tips.
If you are a family on a budget looking for places to shop, there are some options:
- Fast-fashion brands. there has been an emergence of fast-fashion brands in the past few years because of how fast trends change and more and more people are getting into the fashion industry. Fast-fashion stores sell clothes that are trendy at a lower price point. They have all the trendy pieces, basic pieces, and many different styles.
The downside is that the quality isn’t as good as other stores, and they don’t last for long. So, if you’re looking for pieces that are trendy to wear for short while, fast-fashion stores are for you.
- Discount stores. as the name suggests, discount stores are retail stores that sell products at a greater discount than regular stores. Just because it is a discount store doesn’t mean that won’t find good quality clothing pieces inside. You can find very good pieces at a fraction of the price of regular retail stores.
- Second-hand stores. there are many types of second-hand stores. There are consignment shops full of designer brands and their thrift stores, and there are online secondhand stores. These are a great way to find unique pieces that you can no longer find in stores anymore with a great price. However, don’t expect to find a specific piece in mind when going thrift shopping; just have a specific style in mind and keep your mind open to different styles.
- Department stores. department stores are stores that have different brands inside. They are perfect for those who don’t like to go to different stores and are looking for specific things. So, if you can’t find that perfect v-neck blue sweater at a certain brand, you will find it at another in the same department store.
Now that we mentioned some places to shop from, here are some tips to keep in consideration:
- Keep an eye on sales. there are sales from online retailers and sales in physical stores. Usually, sales start towards the end of the season. For instance, you want to shop for summer clothes towards the end of fall time and shop for cheap winter clothes towards the end of February. This tip is great if you are not looking for super trendy clothes because, by the end of the season, they might be out of style.
- Understand the needs versus the wants. Before you go shopping for the family, every member of the family needs to declutter their wardrobe to know what they need, get rid of what they don’t need, and what they might want but not necessarily need. When going shopping on a budget, it is easy to get caught up in the number of price drops or if something has a good price point. You might be compelled to buy everything that has a good price tag, but that isn’t ideal. While you don’t have to go full-on essentials only, it’s better to identify which pieces you or any family member needs first so you can keep an eye on them, and then buy the wants if you still haven’t finished the budget.
- Buy less high-quality clothes than more low-quality clothes. Although it might seem that you should stick to low-quality clothes because they are cheaper to save money and to avoid the high-quality stores–this is a mistake.
Spending on high-quality clothes is money well-spent and these clothes will last longer meaning that you don’t have to buy new clothes frequently because they are worn out. It is good to build a capsule wardrobe that has high-quality clothes to wear for a long time.
You could do some quick math to help you determine how much you want to spend on a piece of clothing. For instance, a high-quality pair of jeans is $100, and you will wear these jeans 3-4 times a week for maybe 30 weeks. This means that you will pay 83 cents for each wear. If you think of it that way, you will see that it is worth it to buy these jeans because they are high-quality and will last you a long time.
You will find yourself willing to spend a little extra on high-quality stuff because they make you feel put-together and make the outfits look a hundred times better than buying a cheap pair of jeans,