Easy Orange Tofu With Rice
If this is your first time cooking tofu, or you are still very new to cooking with it, then this is the perfect recipe! Just because you have cut meat out of your diet, doesn’t mean you still can’t have some of your favorite meat inspired dishes. One of my favorite meals is orange chicken over steaming jasmine rice, something I make quite often. I just tested out a recipe this afternoon and was amazed with the results and could not believe how much it tasted just like the real thing! So here is a simple, easy to follow, minimal ingredients recipe sure to make your family wondering how in the world could this be tofu in my bowl!
- 8oz of extra firm tofu
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice, for serving (optional)
Draining Your Tofu
I have created a visual guide to show you how to drain your tofu. This is super easy and an essential step, so make sure not to skip it!
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg whites, corn starch and salt until frothy. Add the tofu cubes to the bowl and toss until well-coated. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and cook over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the tofu cubes to the pan and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer the cooked tofu to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, soy sauce, brown sugar until well-combined. Add the orange juice mixture to the skillet and turn heat up to medium-high. Bring sauce to a boil and cook until thickened and syrupy. Add 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch to help thicken the sauce.
- Return the tofu to the pan and toss to coat well with sauce, cook for 1 minute until tofu is warmed through.
- Serve immediately over the rice. We love jasmine rice in this house, so feel free to use white rice if that’s what you prefer
Enjoy a bowl of easy orange tofu with rice for lunch, dinner or a special event!