7 Household Products to Avoid
From the outside, it may seem your house is clean, safe, and protected, but is it? It may come as a surprise to you, but many household products you’re using to clean your house could be the very products that could harm you and your family.
We’re using various products for different purposes in our homes, which is one of the many reasons we’re not aware of the chemicals companies use in these products. If these chemicals are ingested or consumed in any form, they can cause severe issues with our health.
Everyday items such as detergents, cleaners, paint, and some household appliances contain dangerous chemicals and can cause minor to serious health problems to your family. Following are some everyday household products we’re using daily that aren’t as harmless as we thought.
1. Old Small Appliances and Hair Dryers:
Many appliances you use today may contain a significant number of harmful substances. One of the most commonly used minerals used is asbestos. Though asbestos is a carcinogen, it’s used as a primary component in almost all types of insulation since the 20th century for fireproofing materials such as hairdryers, toasters, ovens, curling iron, and stoves.
Inhalation of asbestos fibers is a major cause of mesothelioma, a rare and life-threatening cancer. While most companies are fully aware of using asbestos, they’re seldom warning consumers about the dangers of using their products and some companies have even faced lawsuits. Even though it takes years for asbestos related diseases to show symptoms, when diseases like mesothelioma cancer are diagnosed, they’re accompanied with physical, emotional and financial problems.
As these costs add up, hiring a mesothelioma lawyer is one option for receiving compensation from these companies and understanding legal liabilities. The second option is to avoid using such products and replacing them with plastic ones.
2. Non-Stick Cookware:
Without a doubt, non-stick cookware is a standard product in our homes. While it’s always nice not to have burnt food sticking to the pan, do we know the facts about this product? What makes the ‘non-stick’ part of the pan work are the chemicals, called perfluorooctanoic (PFOA) and polytetrafluoroethylene, used as the non-stick coating.
Studies have found that when heated, these chemicals release gases linked to a higher risk of cancer. It’s better to cook in stainless steel cookware or use non-stick sprays.
3. Household Cleaning Products:
It’s not a surprise that many of the conventional household cleaners consist of toxic or hazardous substances. Cleaners containing bleach and ammonia can produce high toxicity fumes that can be dangerous for the eyes, throat, nose, and lungs, especially for people with asthma.
However, the cleaning products you should steer clear of are toilet bowl, drain, and oven cleaners. These are the most dangerous household cleaning products that can cause severe burns on the skin and eyes. Moreover, cleaning products with artificial fragrances have also been found to use toxic substances.
4. Dishwashing Detergents:
A dishwashing detergent may seem like a harmless product since we’re used to working with it daily. However, dishwashing detergents are known for causing skin irritation due to phosphate as its main ingredient.
Compared to automatic dishwashing detergents, hand dishwashing detergents are milder but can still cause severe irritation to the throat and mouth if swallowed. One of the best ways to work with dishwashing detergents safely is to wear latex dishwashing gloves. When in contact with your skin, conventional dish soaps can cause dermatitis and rashes. It is better to use hypoallergic, all-natural dishwashing detergent.
5. Air Fresheners:
Most of us can’t do without air fresheners around the house. However, did you know that air fresheners consist of toxins that can affect reproductive health and hormones? Moreover, the artificial fragrances found in air fresheners also consist of asthma-causing chemicals that can trigger various allergies.
Inhalation of chemicals such as petroleum distillates, aerosol propellants, and formaldehyde in air fresheners can develop a high risk of cancer. Even if you’re using air fresheners, ensure they’re used in rooms with good ventilation.
6. Plastic Food Containers:
We can’t imagine working around the kitchen and not using plastic food containers and Tupperware to store food. But, ever wondered why these plastic food containers turn cloudy after a few weeks of use? This is because, over time, plastic breaks down and causes dangerous chemicals to release into your food.
Furthermore, when you decide to heat food in these plastic containers, you are also allowing harmful chemicals into your food. Therefore, it is better to switch to glass containers for storing and heating food.
7. Upholstery and Carpet Cleaners:
Did you know upholstery cleaners consist of naphthalene? If used excessively, it is known to cause liver damage and cataract formation. Other types of carcinogens present in carpet cleaners include ammonium hydroxide and perchloroethylene, which give off fumes known for causing disorientation, drowsiness, loss of appetite, and dizziness.
When you’re using such cleaners, ensure rooms are well-ventilated, and your mouth and nose are covered.
Switch to Natural Products for a Healthier Household:
It is tough to pinpoint which product you are using in your daily lives that harm your health. However, apparent products such as household cleaners, plasticware, detergents, and non-stick cookware are known for causing severe long-term health issues.
That is why you must read the labels carefully when buying such products and know which chemicals and materials are used during manufacturing. It is better to opt for natural ingredients wherever possible.