This is a sponsored post for SheSpeaks/Republic Wireless.
The beginning of August my oldest child started middle school and it suddenly hit me that I was entering an entirely different world of parenting. Before even starting school I knew that I wanted to make sure that I stayed s connected as possible with my daughter as she begins this new chapter in her life. After months of contemplating and weighing out the pros and cons, I finally decided that she was ready for a cell phone. There are so many things to consider before deciding whether your child is ready for a cell phone and I am going to go over that with you today!
Personally I believe that the biggest thing you need to consider prior to giving your child a cell phone is whether or not they are mature/responsible enough. Here are a few questions to ask yourself when trying to make a decision:
- Does your child show a sense of responsibility?
- Does your child have a hard time keeping track of their things and lose them often? If your child has a difficult time keeping track of their things, then you can defiantly expect that they might lose a phone!
- Do you need to keep in touch with your child for safety reasons? If your child is involved in sports or activities, there is great reassurance knowing that you can get a hold of each other at any time!
- Would having easy access to friends benefit them for social reasons? My daughter is very shy and I am always looking for ways to help her step out of her shell. Being able to call a friend up and make plans has truly built her confidence!
- Do you think they’ll use cell phones responsibly? Will your child refrain from texting during class or disturbing others with their phone conversations?
- Will a cell phone interfere with their everyday life? If you think it’s going to be a constant battle to keep your child of their phone, then maybe they aren’t ready!
- Will they use text, photo, and video functions responsibly? This is something you absolutely need to sit down and discuss with your child first. You can never take back a text/photo/video. There are some serious consequences for online bullying, so please make sure your child is both aware and familiar with what they should do if they witness online bullying.
- Are you tech savvy enough to set parental controls on your child’s phone? I think that it is very important to be proactive about ensuring your child is using their phone appropriately. My rule is that I have access/passwords to every single app on my daughter’s phone! At this time I don’t feel she is old enough for social media, but if you have a child that is… you need to monitor those accounts!
Something many parents struggle with when providing their child with a cell phone is that they run up the bill! Thankfully this is something I never have to worry about because Republic Wireless offers the perfect plan for kids. Starting at just $15, all of the Republic plans include unlimited talk and text whether on WiFi or cellular. There are also data plans starting at just $20/month. You will also be thrilled to know that there is no contract and none of those ridiculous hidden fees. Here are some of the reasons why we chose Republic Wireless for our child’s cell phone:
- Republic Wireless pioneered the idea of “WiFi first” which has resulted in tens of millions in annual savings for its customers
- Republic’s smartphones use less expensive WiFi networks when possible and seamlessly connect to nationwide 4G LTE cellular network whenever necessary
- Republic offers Android phones for all budget levels
- Republic is the top pre-paid carrier choice by Consumer Reports and for excellence in user satisfaction by PC Magazine
- When outside of WiFi coverage, the smartphone works just like a typical smartphone on the cellular networks of national GSM and CDMA carriers
- The Republic Anywhere app allows you to sync your Republic number with any device (laptops, phones & tablets) so you stay connected to your text messages even when you’re away from your Republic Wireless serviced phone. It’s free for all Republic Wireless members. (Send/receive text messages from your computer, Sync all your messages & contacts, stay in touch when your actual phone is lost.)
Providing your child with their first cell phone is huge step and a major responsibility. If you feel that your child is ready to have a cell phone, I highly recommend that you consider Republic Wireless. She has had her cell phone for months and we have not encountered any issues and you really can’t beat the price! I am SO EXCITED to share with you that I have a coupon code for $20 off service or a phone at Republic Wireless. Make sure to use promo code FRUGALMOMMY2017 to receive your discount! (promo code terms and condition found here)
I hope this post was helpful to you! Please let us know in the comment section below what advice you have for a parent deciding whether their child is ready for a cell phone!
var axel = Math.random() + "";
var a = axel * 10000000000000;