Spicy Tofu Rolls: Vegan Sushi Recipe
Looking for a delicious and simple vegan option for spicy tuna rolls? These spicy tofu rolls are the perfect meal and have instantly become a favorite of mine!
I have been on a sushi craze lately and have been making it at home almost every day for the past week. I think a lot of people are intimidated at the thought of making their own sushi, but once you get the hang of it you will want to make it all of the time. I am not going to lie, it takes some practice and you are going to create a few monstrous looking sushi rolls before you get the steps down. Making sushi rolls at home is not only simple, but significantly cheaper! Watch a few videos on how to make sushi and then come back when you are ready to create some delicious spicy tofu rolls!
Here is what you will need to create your very own spicy tofu sushi rolls:
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING
- 1-2 Tbsp vegan mayo
- 2 tsp Sriracha
- 1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 pack firm tofu
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 avocado
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ROLLS
- 1 Cup of Sushi Rice, cooked
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1-2tbsp sugar
- Nori Sheets (seaweed)
- The first step is to cook your rice according to the instructions on the package. You will then want to let it fully cool. If I am in a rush I will stick mine in a large bowl and place it in the freezer. I then stir it every 10 minutes while I am preparing the filling for the sushi roll.
- Next you are going to squeeze as much water as you can out of the tofu. Then crumble the tofu into small pieces, this is best achieved by simply using your hands. Mix tofu with vegan mayo, sesame, garlic and sriracha. I personally do not measure these ingredients out, I will just add and mix until I am satisfied with the texture and taste. Don’t be afraid to test your food out while making it, this will allow you to become familiar with seasonings. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and let cool.
- Once the rice has cooled, mix in the vinegar and & sugar and mix with a wooden spoon until rice is fully coated. Again… I do not measure these ingredients out, I simple had a small portion at a time until I am satisfied with how it taste.
- On a sheet of nori spread a thin layer of rice. The key to spreding it evenly is making sure your hands wet. I actually keep a small bowl of water next to the nori sheet and will keep dipping my hands in it as I prepare the sushi…. this does wonders at keeping the rice from sticking to your hands. make sure that the rice is in the thinnest layer possible and to leave about 1/4 inch around all of the edges (this will all make sense when you roll your sushi!)
- Spread some of the tofu filling near one edge of the nori, NOT across the entire nori. Again… this will make sense when you roll your sushi. But basically… if you try and spread the filling all over the rice, it will just seep out and overflow when you try to roll it. So make sure your only placing your filling ingredient towards the edge. Add a few slices of avocado on top of the filling.
- Tightly roll up the nori, using even pressure as you go. You can do this wit a bamboo mat or your hands.
- Next comes the most crucial step… cutting your sushi! I have completely destroyed perfectly good rolls of sushi trying to cut it… imagine trying to cut a fresh rolls of bread with a dull knife… it gets all squished and flat… the same thing happens with a sushi roll. The best way I have found to avoid this (other than investing in a very sharp knife) is to put my sushi roll in the refrigerator for a few hours. A very cold roll is more firm and easier to cut. Also make sure to wet the blade water when cutting the sushi roll to prevent the rice from sticking. Cut in a sawing motion and go very slowly, no need to rush perfection!
Another bit of advice if you are making sushi for the first time is DON’T OVERSTUFF YOUR SUSHI! I recommend putting less than you think it needs because it ends up much fatter than you expect.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for delicious, simple and inexpensive spicy tofu sushi which is 100% vegan! Enjoy with ginger, soy sauce and/or wasabi. Let me know in the comments below if you tried this recipe and if so, what did you think!
12 thoughts on “Spicy Tofu Rolls: Vegan Sushi Recipe”
These look amazing! I typically just use yam.. avo… and cucumber.. want to try just sounds great. Do you cook the tofu or is it raw ?
I cannot explain how happy i am that you posted this recipe! I looked everywhere for the perfect recipe and finally found it, thanks to you! These are exactly like my favorite sushi restaurants in Indiana & Kentucky called Dragon King’s Daughter…that I can no longer have because I live in Florida now! I am about to make it now, sooooo excited!!!! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! xoxo
I loved this recipe, I had just made a jar of veganise or vegan mayo and wanted to try it here, I did 2 changes: I didn’t put as much sugar into the rice mixture, just used 1 T. and added 1 t. of sea salt and I omitted the garlic powder since the vegan mayo has alot of garlic and the sushi came out perfect!
Great recipe! I made veggie sushi rolls using brown rice. Yummy! You can try it next time
Thanks for sharing with us
Thanks so much Heather for the great vegan alternative option, this is very easy to use for sushi party 🙂 Can’t help but link this for my new post!
Made these last night and they were delicious. First time making sushi, and I was quite proud of myself. Will definitely make again!