Invisalign: Innovative Way to Correct Overbite
The overbite problem is quite common because many parents overuse a pacifier or do not attach serious importance to the thumb-sucking by their kids. As a result of this, malocclusion may develop when the upper teeth slightly or seriously protrude forward, covering the lower ones from above. In addition to an aesthetic flaw, this can lead to gum disease, frequent dental problems, and even jaw pain. If you notice this problem in your child or want to correct it in yourself, it can be effectively done with Invisalign NYC. By restoring your correct bite, you will not only save yourself from many potential problems in the jaw-facial region but also feel much more confident.
Traditional Overbite Fix
Prior to the advent of aligners in 1998, bite correction in children and adults in most cases was carried out with the help of braces. However, this method of overbite fixing has obvious disadvantages:
- Visibility to others, which makes many patients embarrassed to smile or interact closely with others.
- The likelihood of damage to tooth enamel and oral mucosa.
- Certain dietary restrictions that apply to the entire period of wearing braces.
How Are Aligners Different from Traditional Braces?
The appearance of Invisalign in orthodontics made it possible to neutralize all these shortcomings due to their fundamentally different features:
- Aligners are transparent and invisible to others and, therefore, do not affect your social communication in any way.
- They are made from hypoallergenic plastic and are absolutely harmless and cannot damage either the teeth or the mucous membrane of the mouth.
- You can easily control the aligners by removing them for hygiene or eating. Therefore, you will not have to endure any dietary restrictions.
How to Correct Overbite with Invisalign
Custom-fitted aligners are clear caps that fit snugly over your teeth and apply gentle pressure to them. The orthodontist, using special technologies, determines which teeth are to be corrected and in which direction they need to be moved. After that, a doctor develops a step-by-step plan for correcting overbite and makes dental impressions for the production of aligners. After their manufacturing, the patient receives the finished batch of aligners and strictly follows all the recommendations of an orthodontist to make the treatment as quick and effective as possible:
- Wear them not less than 20‒22 hours a day without taking them off even at night.
- Change every 7‒14 days for new ones to boost the bite correction.
- Have regular check-ups with the attending orthodontist to monitor the process of correcting the bite.
- Maintain oral hygiene by taking care of your aligners to avoid the propagation of germs
- Remove aligners while eating, drinking coloring beverages, or smoking cigarettes.
Orthodontic treatment with Invisalign is gentle, invisible to others, but very effective. It is suitable for both adults and children from 5‒6 years old. Thanks to the transparency of the aligners, you can be sure that your child will not rebel against wearing them or be embarrassed to communicate with others, which is often the case with teenagers wearing braces. Therefore, it can be hoped that thanks to Invisalign, the number of people with malocclusion will decrease significantly.