10 Benefits of Drinking Warm Lemon Water Each Morning
There has been a lot of talk about the benefits of drinking warm lemon water before ingesting anything else for the day but not enough details to go around. One question that a lot of people have asked or wondered is why does the water need to be warm. The reason behind this is because water that is too hot will destroy most of the enzymes and properties that make the lemon beneficial. On the other hand, ice cold water with lemon juice is not as effective as a digestive aid because the body will still work to warm up the liquid and this takes time and effort. Cold water sometimes causes gas in the digestive system and bloating.
Without further ado, here are 10 Benefits of Drinking Warm Lemon Water Each Morning!
1. One of the most obvious benefits is Vitamin C. You may already know that lemons have a lot of this vitamin which helps boost your immune system and helps you deal with stress better. What you might not know is that Vitamin C also has a positive impact on cardiovascular health and helps prevent degenerative diseases. The reason behind this is that this particular vitamin plays a huge role on oxidative damage, atherosclerosis and inflammation.
2. Other vitamins and minerals which are loaded in lemons include, but are not limited to phosphorous, magnesium, citric acid, calcium and potassium. Phosphorous helps with digestion and keeping your kidneys in the pink of health, among other things.
Magnesium helps to keep a steady heart beat, maintain normal function for nerves and muscles and promotes bone strength. There are actually so much more that magnesium can help with as long as the daily need for it is met.
Citric acid reduces the impact of free radicals in the body, helps prevent kidney stones by breaking up the materials that are supposed to become these stones through alkalization. It also normalizes the acid levels in the body for better pH.
In relation to magnesium, the calcium in warm, fresh lemon water can be readily absorbed and added to the stores of the body. At the same time, since magnesium prevents further loss of the mineral calcium.
Potassium helps to lower the risk of stroke, high blood pressure, stress and anxiety. It also enhances the muscles, water balance of the body, metabolism and normalizes the nervous system. The brain, the heart and the entire nervous system benefit from potassium.
3. Pectin fiber is present in lemons and this is beneficial to us because it is an antibacterial agent. This lowers the risk of bacterial and viral infections as well as reduces the time that we are sick. It also maintains colon health and helps to manage hunger pangs by making us feel full for longer periods of time. This means it could help us lose weight and at the same time help the immune system.
4. Warm lemon water helps to manage inflammation and discomfort in the joints and other areas of the body. This is because of the reduction of acid in the body and the removal of uric acid from the joints. Daily intake of warm water with the juice of half a lemon will help you manage arthritis very well.
5. The drink can also help you reduce the duration of a cold. The presence of the different vitamins and minerals help to lower your risk of getting a cold and, if you have a cold, you will not be so weak or affected by it. The duration of the cold or infection will also be shortened due to your regular consumption of the lemon infused water.
6. Warm water with the juice of half a lemon or more can also provide energy to depleted liver enzymes. As we all know, the liver plays a huge role in our health and well being, it needs to be healthy in order to process the toxins that we ingest or take in daily. The liver stimulation that it provides helps a lot on flushing out toxins and keeping the liver healthy and fully functional.
7. Our skin generally benefits from the lemon juice that we add to warm water. For one thing, lemons contain antioxidants that fight free radicals. The side effect of the elimination of free radicals is clearer and brighter skin which does not develop spots easily or have lighter spots. Aside from this, the bump up of vitamin C from the lemons will increase the production of collagen in the skin. This helps to promote more elasticity in our skin and can delay the formation of wrinkles and creases on the skin.
8. Lemon water can also be beneficial to the digestion and the liver. In digestion, it can help with heartburn, ease indigestion and help with an upset stomach. For the liver, lemon juice in warm water can be very similar to stomach acids. The presence of these enzymes will stimulate the production of bile that helps with the movement of food from the stomach through the colons.
9. If you are tired and drained from your early morning workout, you can also try to drink warm lemon water to replenish your depleted body salts. The different vitamins and minerals in the fruit will help to replace the ones that you have sweated out. Not only will these replace them but you will also be able to have a boost in energy and a better mental state.
10. Detoxification is one of the more important benefits that we get from drinking warm, lemon infused water. The acidity levels in the body are managed well and so are digestion and elimination of body wastes. In spite of these, experts caution against too much ingestion of the drink. It would be more beneficial to slowly increase the amount of lemon juice in the water so the body will not be taken by surprise.
How To Prepare Warm Lemon Water
The right way to prepare your warm lemon infused drink is also important. Experts agree that it is better to start with just half a lemon or less for a glass of warm water. Gauge your body’s reaction to the juice of half a lemon in warm water and adjust it accordingly. Some recommend squeezing the juice of half a lemon into a cup before adding the warm water and stirring. The addition of lemon juice in tea, either green or black is also a popular alternative. The tea can replace the coffee that you normally drink in the morning. Cold water can actually be used for infusion and for drinking any other time of day. The benefits of lemons will still be present in cold water, although not as effective when used in warm water and drank in the morning.
The citric acid in the lemons can actually erode teeth. I recommend brushing your teeth a few minutes after drinking your warm, lemon water, you can purchase some useful dental hand instruments to assist with healthy dental hygiene. You can also drink plain water 30 minutes after and swish it around your mouth to cleanse your teeth. Although there is a form of treatment for pyorrhea that entails swishing the juice of a lemon in warm water around the mouth, the regular habit of doing so and letting the drink sit in your mouth for too long is discouraged for your dental health.
Children under the age of 14 do not actually need to drink water infused with lemon juice regularly. Children below this age are quite healthy and will not need to drink the infusion all the time. For medicinal purposes, you may try to give the infusion to your child but this should not exceed four to five days. As a form of alternative medicine, the infusion does work for some problems but there are a lot of ailments and sicknesses that may require a consultation with a qualified doctor and medication.
The information in this article is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information. The Information provided is NOT a substitute for professional care and should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem and disease. You should consult your health care provider if you have or suspect you may have a health problem.