Traveling can be an exciting adventure for a couple, newlywed, or family. Nothing is more blissful than reuniting with family. However, going on a trip with a baby can be quite stressful if not properly planned. It could feel more like a burden than an actual vacation.
Often, couples would cancel out on such a trip because of the baby. Difficulties in getting a baby to sleep while on such trips, could affect the baby’s health. Nothing affects a naptime routine more like taking your little one from a familiar environment to a new place.
Do you plan on going on a trip or vacation alongside your baby? This holiday season began earlier than expected, you desire spending it out of town with your baby? OH, there’s a job interview a few miles from your city and you have to travel with your baby? Has it been long your family met your baby and you also miss them?
This article is focused on successful tips which you would need to get prepared for such trips with your baby. Traveling with your baby is a great idea, you don’t need to cancel that trip when there’s an alternative way out. However, bear in mind that you’d need a couple of baby things and for a start a portable baby bed.
I’d like to share these tips with you which I’m hoping would save your trip from getting ruined:
1. A well-rested baby: traveling with a well-rested baby is a key factor in having a successful trip. A baby who has a sleep deficit would be a burden during your trip. Adjust your schedule for the week by removing activities which would result in a hectic day before your trip. This ensures that the baby’s sleep is protected before the trip and also counters a sleep deficit for the baby.
2. Maintain your baby’s schedule: If you desire your baby to sleep well during your trip, you probably would need to stick to his normal routine. So if he sleeps at mid-afternoon every day, during your trip you must put him to bed at such time. And if the baby is good at adapting, it would be easy to put him to sleep using the portable Baby bed.
3. Get some good napping product: there is a couple of fantastic napping product which helps you in getting your baby to sleep. A portable baby bed, a blackout curtain, swaddle blankets, noise machines are all necessary for your trip. And they are quite portable.
4. Adjust the napping area to feel like home: Babies get uncomfortable in a new environment. You should recreate the napping environment to feel homey and familiar. This would mean getting his toys, storybooks, crib sheets, a lullaby music CD and all. With this, he can easily adapt to the new environment, be comfortable and sleep when he needs to. Although, it is quite impossible to haul in everything for the journey. Don’t stress yourself over that.
5. Pep-talk: Having done all that’s needed to be taken care of and the baby still doesn’t sleep when he needs to can be frustrating. So, it’s great to be flexible and encourage yourself to handle the situation. Also, it would be nice to schedule yourself for a nice treat, a pedicure, a massage, seeing a movie, a good meal to help you feel relaxed.
Please, please and please, do not cancel your trip. A new environment is an amazing adventure/experience for you and your baby. There are priceless memories created from being with family and friends. I hope this article helps you on your next planned trip with your baby.