Homeschool Biology, Chemistry, and Physics – Avoid Two Mistakes
This post is sponsored by College Prep Science. Copyright 2020 by Greg Landry
Are you a parent that is currently homeschooling or someone that is doing research on whether you should homeschool? Here is a great resource on the topics of homeschooling biology, chemistry and physics!
Homeschool biology, chemistry, and physics curriculum, labs, and classes are the core of high school science and the thrust of middle school science as it prepares homeschooled students for high school level science. As a former college professor who has also taught thousands of homeschooled high school students, I believe that we should be careful at both of those levels to avoid two common mistakes:
- High school level homeschooled students who are likely to be college science majors should be taught very differently than students who will likely not be science majors and students who may not be attending college.
We created two separate types of classes to best address the biology, chemistry, and physics needs of each group – “college prep” and “life prep.” The depth, breadth, and pedagogy of many college-prep biology, chemistry and physics classes leave many “non-science” students frustrated, uninterested, and ultimately learning very little. I find that students in this situation often miss the big picture and they don’t have an overall understanding of the subject matter that is so critical in these sciences. They can’t see the forest because they’re lost in the trees. Our “life prep” classes are basic high school level classes, enable students to see the forest, and will allow them to learn science through the lens of their God-given interests and talents.”
- Ten years ago I originated the “pre” classes (Pre-Biology, Pre-Anatomy & Physiology, Pre-Chemistry, and Pre-Physics) as a means of minimizing the intimidation of high school level science and preparing middle school age students for specific high school level classes – rather than generalities such as “physical science” etc. This is a significant factor as they prepare for high school level science.
The thrust of our Christian / creationist worldview homeschool biology, chemistry, and physics online classes (and lab curriculum) is to give homeschooled students access to science that is focused on scientific inquiry, critical thinking, process reasoning, data collection, and the graphical and written representation of research. We want to prepare competent, confident students for their remaining high school years, their college years, and life.
- “College prep” online classes for students who will likely be college science majors
- “Life prep” online classes for students who likely won’t be college science majors or likely won’t attend college
– Homeschool Biology – College Prep (9th-12th) – Two Semester Class
– Life Prep Homeschool Biology (8th-12th) – Two Semester Class
– Homeschool Chemistry – College Prep (10th-12th) – Two Semester Class
– Life Prep Homeschool Chemistry (9th-12th) – Two Semester Class
– Life Prep Homeschool Physics (9th-12th) – Two Semester Class
– Homeschool Human Anatomy & Physiology (9th-12th) – Two Semester Class
– Homeschool Pre-Anatomy & Physiology (6th-9th) – One Semester Class
– Homeschool Pre-Chemistry (6th-9th) – – One Semester Class
– Homeschool Pre-Biology (6th-9th) – One Semester Class
– Homeschool Pre-Physics (6th-9th) – One Semester Class
– Homeschool ACT Prep Bootcamp (8th-12th)
In the words of a homeschool parent…
“Greg, …what you did for our daughter will have far reaching effects. You showed her that learning can be enjoyable…”
Thankful in Indiana
Note: These online homeschool science classes also include lab experiments and graded lab reports in Professor Landry’s virtual homeschool science laboratory. Students attend class weekly (either live or by recording), turn-in homework, and are tested on a regular basis. These classes are all inclusive and provide students with an enjoyable, comprehensive science experience.
Homeschool dad, scientist, and former college professor, Greg Landry, offers live, online homeschool science classes, Homeschool ACT Prep Bootcamp, the Homeschool Mom’s Science Podcast, in-person two day science lab intensives nationwide, freebies for homeschool moms, and student-produced homeschool print publications.
One thought on “Homeschool Biology, Chemistry, and Physics – Avoid Two Mistakes”
this was very informative