Fried Sesame Tofu With Asparagus
Looking for a simple and delicious vegan meal? Check out this fried sesame tofu with asparagus that will leave carnivores amazed!
The most effective way to achieve the crispiest tofu is getting out as much moisture as possible. I wrap my block of tofu with paper towels, several times around. I then put it on a plate, a flat pan on top of the tofu and some very heave cans on top. Let the sit for up to 30 minutes. Once I unwrap the tofu, I will make one last attempt to get out the water by giving it a few squeezes over the sink.
The second tip to achieve crispy tofu is coating it in cornstarch and cook in oil in a pan. Don’t rush this process and try to use a pan that is large enough so that all of the tofu pieces are spread out evenly. Allow it to cook until golden brown before flipping over the pieces. Tofu always comes out so incredibly crispy when using this method, no need to deep fry it! Another good method would to cook the tofu in an air fryer.
I hope you try this recipe! Make sure to check out the recipe card at the end of this post for a list of ingredients and instructions!
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- STIR FRY
- 14oz. block extra-firm tofu
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp oil (vegetable, canola, peanut)
- 1 bunch of asparagus tips
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Wrap your tofu in some paper towel and place between two pates or pans. Place a few heavy cans on top and press the tofu for at least 30 minutes to extract excess water
- While the tofu is pressing, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl combine the soy sauce, water, sesame oil, brown sugar, rice vinegar, grated ginger, minced garlic, sesame seeds, and cornstarch. Stir until the brown sugar and cornstarch are dissolved, then set the sauce aside.
- Cut the pressed tofu into 1-inch cubes, then season with a pinch of salt. Fill a bowl with 2 Tbsp of cornstarch and coat the cubes by tossing. Repeat with the second tablespoon of cornstarch, or until the tofu cubes have a nice even coating of cornstarch.
- Heat a large skillet over medium flame. Once hot, add 2 Tbsp oil and tilt the skillet until the bottom is coated in a thick layer of oil. Add the tofu cubes and let cook until golden brown on the bottom. Use a spatula to turn the cubes to an uncooked side, and cook until golden brown again. Continue this process until brown and crispy on all sides, then remove the crispy tofu to a clean plate.
- Add the asparagus to the hot skillet and briefly stir fry until cooked. Lower the heat to medium-low.
- Give the bowl of sauce a good stir, then pour it into the skillet. Stir and cook until the sauce begins to bubble and thicken (this should happen very quickly). Once thickened, turn off the heat and stir in the cooked tofu cubes.
- Serve the tofu and broccoli over a bed of cooked rice and enjoy!