5 Ways to Cope With Stress in a Healthy Way
With the way that everyday living is so fast-paced and filled with pressures and deadlines, it is inevitable that people, at one point in their lives, will feel stressed. For some, it is something they are used to.
Stress may never be too far away, but it does not mean that you have to let stress overwhelm your life to the point that you are no longer able to function properly. Stress can actually be beneficial at times when it motivates you to do better, whether at work or school. But sometimes it becomes too much that not only is your work or school affected, but you also become unhealthy.
If you have been feeling stressed lately, do read the list below for some suggestions on how you can deal and cope with stress.
- Avoid substance abuse – it may be tempting to turn to nicotine, caffeine, alcohol or even drugs to cope with life’s stressors, but you will be doing yourself more harm than good. Avoid alcohol as at first, it may be a stimulant at first, but it eventually becomes a depressant. If you find yourself already taking more than the normal amount. It is still not too late as you can enroll yourself in centers like The Recovery Village Redfield which helps people be on the road to recovery.
- Get enough sleep – it cannot be said enough. Not getting the proper amount of sleep can lead to stress. You need to get at least eight of hours of sleep. If you are having a hard time doing so, you can try taking some tea or using some breathing techniques. Try to stay away from sleeping pills so as not to be dependent on them.
- Learn some relaxation techniques – for the moments at the office or home when you are feeling overwhelmed by circumstances, learn some ways on how you can relax. Some just do so by breathing deeply or reciting some mantra that would keep them motivated for the rest of the day.
- Talk to a friend – having a support system cannot be given enough importance. The old adage “No man is an island” is still very true today. Being able to share your problems with someone, no matter how big or small, and knowing that you will not be judged, can lift a great burden you may have. You don’t have to share it with everyone you know, a few select people whom you trust and respect can make a big difference already.
- Find a passion or hobby you enjoy – in order to counteract the stressors in your life, why not look for an activity that you can truly enjoy? Maybe you’ve always wanted to learn a new language, or perhaps you want to learn how to cook Thai food? Find something you can be passionate about, something that you know will make you forget about the issues in your life. If you can’t find one at the moment, then, just find a way to take care of yourself. It may be a mini-vacation or a regular massage schedule. Whatever it is, all you need to do is find time to take care of yourself.